Skip to main content

Fueling Your Body

The owner of our local gym, Crossfit Seymour, is who uses the term, "Food is a Drug."  I started using it on here because I realized how true it was in my own body.  As I adjusted to the Paleo lifestyle and Crossfit too I could feel the difference in my energy level, inflammation, and overall wellness almost immediately!

Last week was my kiddos spring break.  We usually head south to a warmer climate but decided to have the ever trendy 'staycation.'  We did one fun thing each day to keep the week exciting.  While all that fun was being had I had several moments of weakness.

My downhill spiral started on Tuesday at the movie theater.  We rarely go to the movies.  I was overwhelmed by the glorious smell of popcorn when we entered the theater.  I had no will power.  The boys got a popcorn to split and each of them had a soda.  The first handful I had I knew I could handle it...but unfortunately I didn't have just one handful.  I was frustrated with myself but went home and opted to eat a healthy dinner.

My kids felt sick to their tummies that night and it was a great opportunity for me to remind them why we don't eat junk.  It was a point well taken.

The next day we planned an outing of indoor play and painting pottery with lunch in between.  For lunch, at the diner, I found a grilled chicken salad to keep me on track BUT I did order a dessert for the boys.  Before I even realized it, I had asked for three spoons and the dessert was gone.

On Thursday we headed to watch NCAA playoff practice.  Mr. went with me and we had a van load of boys.  On the way home we stopped to feed the crew.  I did it again but this time with pizza.

On Friday I was in a gluten coma!  I literally was so unmotivated and found myself on the couch ALL. DAY. LONG.  I didn't even take a shower until 3 p.m.

I did jump right back on track on Friday and have eaten clean healthy paleo ever since but it was a lesson for sure.  I've shared this story with several people and many have wanted to know if it even tasted good.  Sadly, for me it tasted wonderful.  However, I know the way I felt on Friday especially was not good.

Will I ever have cheats again?  More than likely. However, I won't ever forget how awful I felt coming off of paleo.  It was proof for me that Food Is A Drug #Paleo.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reset in Progress

So for the next two weeks as I reset my habits and start the cleanse, it may be important for those closest to me to tread very lightly.  I was pretty ill for most of the month of December especially that last week or so.  My body is very ready to cleanse and detox and begin the healing process. The Smith household is having a Paleo Reset starting today.  I sort of wish it was as easy as pushing a reset button but unfortunately it is not.  We started Saturday by cleaning out the refrigerator and the pantry.  We did meal plan and shopping Sunday morning.  We stumbled upon a great price on a whole chicken that was antibiotic and additive free.  So I cooked it in the Instant Pot Sunday to have protein for the week.  After it cooled, I shredded it and put the bones back in with Fish Oil, Carrots, Garlic, and Onion and cooked it for 2 hours to make fresh bone broth.  This made 3 mason jars full of broth. I also made an egg quiche ty...

Paleo Intermittent Fasting--Emeals Paleo Bacon Turkey Meatloaf Recipe included!

At a recent appointment with my favorite Integrative Medicine Physician, Mr. and I were able to lay it out all on the line and learned how to refocus on our health journey.  Dr. W knows of how successful we've been with changing to a Paleo Lifestyle.  He saw us through it every step of the way last time.  So he asked us (individually) what we knew about Intermittent Fasting.  Admittedly, Mr. and I knew very little and probably still don't know much but Dr. W assures us he's super impressed with what he's seen come from research and thought we'd be perfect candidates. So on August 1st (Actually the 31st of July because it was a Monday), Mr. and I started down this path.  Much like the first time I tried paleo I was a little apprehensive.  I've spent the last several years coaching others to eat 3 meals and 2-3 snacks per day.  I've focused on food so much that I wasn't sure how I was going to slow that train down.  I found that 1. It's a lot easi...

Meal Plan++Paleo Mulligatawny

Thank you to everyone that responded to my survey.  I really appreciate the feedback and look forward to sharing with you this year.  Meal planning has been our best asset to following a paleo lifestyle.  We use emeals and follow the Paleo Meal Plan.  Every week I get an email with lunch and dinner options and I make our meal plan based on the activities we have on our calendar. Wednesday's I work 13-14 hours and so you can bet that I almost always use my crock pot on those nights.  Otherwise, I try to match up the easier meals for our heavier loads on our calendar.   Here's our meal plan for this week. I write out our menu plan on this magnet that's on our fridge.  It makes it easier for me to remember to pull meat and thaw from the freezer in advance. That Jambalaya is in my Instant Pot (on slow cooker mode) as we speak. I've done a horrible job of food pictures that last couple of weeks but wanted to share this recipe with you.  I made ...