Skip to main content

Crossfit and Running...my journey

NOTE:  This is a Paleo blog...but for me Paleo and Crossfit go hand in hand.  In my journey they started at the same time.  Today's post will be heavy on my running journey in Crossfit and light on the Paleo.  Why should you read this?  Well, anyone can do Crossfit...and I'd like to inspire you to give it a try.

As I've stated before I do not like running...at least before and during a run.  After the run though I love that little feeling you get way deep down in your lungs.  I think they call that a "runner's high."  I like that feeling and being able to accomplish a run.

When I first started Crossfit, the warm up scared me the most.  At our gym we run 800 m (1/2 mile) and do other warm up exercises.  In August I knew just the warm up was a workout for me.  I couldn't imagine doing much more than 1/2 mile run, 10 overhead squats (with no weight just a bar), 10 sit ups, 10 back extensions, 10 pull ups (banded for me), and 10 ring dips (I did bench dips).  I was so out of shape and overweight so the warm up was intimidating.

I remember the first 2 weeks I would jog the short end of the block and walk the long ends.  Through all the impact my body was facing my knees became really, really tight.  A coach suggested I row instead of run for a while to give my knees a break.  After a couple weeks of rowing I decided to give running a try again for the warm up.  Slowly I'd begin stretching my runs longer than my walks.  I was so excited the first day I ran around the block one time without stopping (400m).  It was the best feeling!

Our gym posts our workouts the night before.  And if I am being totally honest here, I would frequently avoid the workouts that had lots of running in them.  I know how bad that is as we are suppose to attack our weaknesses but I no longer avoid them.  Now I find myself avoiding burpees ;).

The way Crossfit workouts are designed helps build you up to running naturally.  You may only do a workout for 10-12 minutes but you are doing the movement as fast as you can.  I noticed that my cardio slowly improved.  Before it was cold this winter I found that I could run the 800 m without walking.  I was so stoked!

In January when I went on a long cruise my coach programmed a couple of workouts for me.  Unfortunately the ocean wasn't cooperating and was pretty rough.  The rough ocean made it extremely hard to work out.  The movement of the ship caused g forces to increase and decrease.  Imagine being in the middle of a squat when the elevator stops and try standing up.  It was difficult.  To make up for workouts I couldn't do, I took to the treadmill and would run.

Our winter has been rather cold and snowy here.  It didn't leave much for outdoor activity.  Not long after we got back from our cruise I'd go outside for a run.  My parents house is 1.5 miles away from mine and so sometimes I would jog over for our Sunday night family dinners.  Not too shabby!

However, I've always been bad at running.  My dad would constantly yell at me to point my toes.  Plus as I shared before my team mates in high school would say I ran like a duck.  Plus there was that middle school track meet that the coach begged the shot putters to run the mile and I came in last place (not for my team but for the whole race).  I don't really like to run outside where people can see me...it's one of my biggest motivators for going to the gym at 5:30 a.m.

Recently I asked one of the coaches to help me with my running form.  I went into the box on an off time and she helped me work on form.  Who would have known your suppose to lean forward when you run?!?  I was always trying to kick my toes out like my dad told me.  I still have work to be done...but so glad that she took the time to "teach" me how to run!

My running disguise!

So this past week I set out to go for a jog...I knew the route I felt comfortable taking and it was 2.5 miles.  This would be my longest run ever.  My goal was to keep moving.  So I put a hat on to hide my face.  Got a running play list together on my Ipod and headed out....and I DID it!  I ran 2.5 miles without stopping.  I was feeling pretty good until the last half mile.  Then I started setting mini goals.  Get to the next stop sign. Get to the fire hydrant.  Run over the ditch.  Make it to the driveway.  And it worked!

I owe my ability to endure longer runs all to Crossfit and not because we run in the warm up.  We get our cardiovascular strength from the WOD's.  We do movements quickly.  We breathe through them.  We push our bodies past their comfort zones.  Take this mornings workout 20 jumping squats, 20 sit ups, 200 m run for 12 min. as a prime example of the cardio workout Crossfit allows.  If you've thought Crossfit is all about building muscles, you've been mistaken.  Crossfit challenges you to step out of your comfort zone and push your body to work harder.  In the end...you get results, you become stronger, and you feel more confident because you attacked your weaknesses!

I have a new goal now to help shed my last 21 lbs.  I plan to start running 2-3 times a week along with my 3x a week Crossfit regimen.  I do plan on running a 5K this summer. Somewhere out of town where no one knows me.  Eventually, I'll come out of the closet about my running...but for now I'm happy to remain anonymous.  (fyi for local people...please don't honk your horn at me and wave if you see me running.  I would be mortified!).

Where does Paleo come in to all of this?  Food is a Drug #Paleo...fuel your body properly for workouts and your body will perform the way you want it too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Simple Steps to Understanding Paleo for Beginners

Just 6 months ago Mr. and I were beginning our Paleo Journey.  We started at our local Crossfit Gym Crossfit Seymour .  Friends of ours own the gym and they were having a 30 day Paleo/Crossfit Challenge.  Lucky for us Coach Sam had a 30 day meal plan prepared that he shared with us.  We didn't have the stress of deciding what we were having for dinner.  He had recipes that he and his wife had gathered that he shared with us.  We did the bulk of our cooking on Sunday, which he called our Sunday WOD (workout of the day).  It was at the end of our 30 day challenge when Mr. and I decided we wanted to adopt the Paleo Lifestyle that I found myself stressed and anxious about what to do next.   The answer for us was Emeals . I've written a post about emeals you can find here:  Paleo Emeals .  This was a great starting point for us that took a lot of the planning and stress off my shoulders.  It still allowed me to learn more.   1.  Paleo Food List It's important to k

10 Things Couples Starting their Paleo Journey Should Know!

Mr. and I started our Paleo Journey pretty much together.  I can't say that it was a smooth beginning.  We definitely have learned a lot through the process and continue to do so.  Here's a quick list of 10 things you should know when starting the Paleo Journey as a Couple!   1. Support from your partner! Support from your partner is key to your journey.  It's been one of the best things we've done as far as our relationship is concerned.  We've literally lost a person (130 lbs) in 6 months.  It's not all been pretty but we are a stronger TEAM because we've been on the journey together! 2.  There's No 'I' in Team! Teamwork makes the dream work!  I couldn't have done this without Mr. rolling up his sleeves and pitching in.  We both like to be in the kitchen but neither of us is fond of the clean up afterwards.  We do teamwork with cooking when we are both home.  This way it doesn't fall on one persons shoulder!  We

Fueling Your Body

The owner of our local gym, Crossfit Seymour, is who uses the term, "Food is a Drug."  I started using it on here because I realized how true it was in my own body.  As I adjusted to the Paleo lifestyle and Crossfit too I could feel the difference in my energy level, inflammation, and overall wellness almost immediately! Last week was my kiddos spring break.  We usually head south to a warmer climate but decided to have the ever trendy 'staycation.'  We did one fun thing each day to keep the week exciting.  While all that fun was being had I had several moments of weakness. My downhill spiral started on Tuesday at the movie theater.  We rarely go to the movies.  I was overwhelmed by the glorious smell of popcorn when we entered the theater.  I had no will power.  The boys got a popcorn to split and each of them had a soda.  The first handful I had I knew I could handle it...but unfortunately I didn't have just one handful.  I was frustrated with myself but wen