Skip to main content

Lent/Easter & 69 lbs!

Happy Easter 2014!
Happy Easter! ~The Smith's








Easter Eggs are Paleo Friendly!

Happy Easter!  Yesterday was a great day of family time and relaxation.  I haven't been able to blog very much for several reasons.  My job is crazy busy this time of year.  Lot's of night meetings and working long hours.  Last weekend I got sick for the first time since starting my Paleo Journey.  It was an awful stomach bug that came on fast and left very slowly.  I'm really glad that's behind me now!

Easter brought back all the wonderful things I gave up for Lent.  The thing I am enjoying most that I gave up was coffee!!!  My how I missed my coffee and not because of the caffeine.  I really missed the warmth in the morning!  I gave up all drinks except tap water and saved the money to donate to Living Water International.  The money goes towards building wells for clean drinking water in countries that don't have access to it.  Such a cool project to do.

My Easter Meal
Bacon Wrapped chicken, Roasted Pecan Butternut Squash,
Green Beans, Deviled Eggs and Fruit Salad

Anyone ever try these Larabars?  My mom put some on her Easter spread so Mr. and I could have a little sweet snack.  These are a great find to have on hand during baseball season and the 'at the ball park all day' schedule we have during the summer.

My awesome mom had a Paleo friendly snack for us!

I don't make Paleo desserts often but wanted to have something for Easter.  I whipped up a batch of these strawberry chocolate cupcakes from Against All Grain.  I messed up the recipe more than once but they were still a nice treat to have while keeping us on our journey.  I'm sure they will be even better when I follow the directions correctly next time!

Paleo Strawberry Chocolate Cupcakes

Saturday Night we had friends over for dinner that are contemplating starting paleo.  It was a 'convince my husband this is what we should do' type dinner.  It was a lot of pressure trying to figure out what to make for them.  Mr. ended up smoking a pork loin and I roasted brussel sprouts and had italian cabbage with it.  Her husband loved the meal...time will tell if they jump on the band wagon.  I know from experience what a huge hurdle that is to jump at the beginning!


Smoked Pork Loin, Roasted Brussel Sprouts,
Italian Braised Cabbage, and Fruit Salad

For lunch Saturday we had our favorite Darlage Pork Burgers.  They are soooo yummy especially on the grill.  I threw together a quick burger bar so everyone could dress their burger how they wanted it.  I had Mr. throw a sliced onion on the grill too.  If you've never made Paleo Mayonaise, I highly suggest it!  Awesome lunch!

Burger Bar

I've enjoyed my Friday Fish for Lent.  Now that it's spring and I don't have to cook fish in the house I am more game.  We'll start adding seafood to our diet once a week.  I prefer Friday Night Steak Night though...so we'll see how this progresses.

Good Friday
Flounder, Squash and Red Onions,
1/2 Sweet Potato, Tomato, and Avocado

On Ash Wednesday I shared that I was giving up fruit and nuts for Lent in hopes to help put a dent in my last 20-30 lbs.  I also gave up weighing because I was getting a little obsessive with stepping on the scale and starting this journey was never about the number.  I felt like it was starting to get that way and I needed to pay attention to how I felt.  

I was also really close to a big hurdle for me and that was getting below 200 lbs.  A couple years ago I was exercising and following a low carb diet but couldn't get below 200 lbs.  So giving up weighing for Lent was difficult (almost as difficult as coffee).  When Mr. was celebrating weight loss I wanted to jump on the scale to see how I was doing but didn't let myself.  I was so excited on Saturday morning to see that I had lost 9 lbs during Lent AND I was below 200 lbs!  So far my total weight lost is 69 lbs (a little frustrated it wasn't 70 lbs)...and I am in normal size clothes.  21 lbs to go and I will be at goal weight.  I'm going to fight for every pound.  My goal is to have it off by my 1 year journey date August 1st.  

It's very scary and humbling to share my real weight with you...but I do it so others will be encouraged to join me.  Last year at this time I was unhealthy and spiraling out of control.  My solution to gaining weight was to buy bigger clothes.  I had no energy and had no idea how I would get things under control.  I am so happy that friends gave us a gentle nudge and an opportunity to change how we feel.  

It's awesome to be surrounded by so many people that appreciate and acknowledge our hard work.  It's also just as great to be surrounded by people that work hard too and push us to do better.  My goal is to not take for granted anyone along this journey.  This isn't a product you buy, it's real food with real results.  I want to help you because I've been there and done that.  Here's my olive branch...grab a hold and join me!  Just remember...Food is A Drug #Paleo



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Simple Steps to Understanding Paleo for Beginners

Just 6 months ago Mr. and I were beginning our Paleo Journey.  We started at our local Crossfit Gym Crossfit Seymour .  Friends of ours own the gym and they were having a 30 day Paleo/Crossfit Challenge.  Lucky for us Coach Sam had a 30 day meal plan prepared that he shared with us.  We didn't have the stress of deciding what we were having for dinner.  He had recipes that he and his wife had gathered that he shared with us.  We did the bulk of our cooking on Sunday, which he called our Sunday WOD (workout of the day).  It was at the end of our 30 day challenge when Mr. and I decided we wanted to adopt the Paleo Lifestyle that I found myself stressed and anxious about what to do next.   The answer for us was Emeals . I've written a post about emeals you can find here:  Paleo Emeals .  This was a great starting point for us that took a lot of the planning and stress off my shoulders.  It still allowed me to learn more.   1.  Paleo Food List It's important to k

10 Things Couples Starting their Paleo Journey Should Know!

Mr. and I started our Paleo Journey pretty much together.  I can't say that it was a smooth beginning.  We definitely have learned a lot through the process and continue to do so.  Here's a quick list of 10 things you should know when starting the Paleo Journey as a Couple!   1. Support from your partner! Support from your partner is key to your journey.  It's been one of the best things we've done as far as our relationship is concerned.  We've literally lost a person (130 lbs) in 6 months.  It's not all been pretty but we are a stronger TEAM because we've been on the journey together! 2.  There's No 'I' in Team! Teamwork makes the dream work!  I couldn't have done this without Mr. rolling up his sleeves and pitching in.  We both like to be in the kitchen but neither of us is fond of the clean up afterwards.  We do teamwork with cooking when we are both home.  This way it doesn't fall on one persons shoulder!  We

Fueling Your Body

The owner of our local gym, Crossfit Seymour, is who uses the term, "Food is a Drug."  I started using it on here because I realized how true it was in my own body.  As I adjusted to the Paleo lifestyle and Crossfit too I could feel the difference in my energy level, inflammation, and overall wellness almost immediately! Last week was my kiddos spring break.  We usually head south to a warmer climate but decided to have the ever trendy 'staycation.'  We did one fun thing each day to keep the week exciting.  While all that fun was being had I had several moments of weakness. My downhill spiral started on Tuesday at the movie theater.  We rarely go to the movies.  I was overwhelmed by the glorious smell of popcorn when we entered the theater.  I had no will power.  The boys got a popcorn to split and each of them had a soda.  The first handful I had I knew I could handle it...but unfortunately I didn't have just one handful.  I was frustrated with myself but wen