Skip to main content

30 Day Paleo Challenge...Starts today!I Emeals Kid-friendly Paleo Country Fried Steak with Carrot-Cauliflower Mash

A little over a year ago I started my initial 30 Day Strict paleo Challenge and Crossfit Seymour.  I was only committed to 30 days of both and had plans on not continuing with Crossfit and adding dairy back into the Paleo lifestyle.  I stuck it out...not cheating even once!

That first month was tough!  I missed my fizzy soda.  I could barely stay up until 8:30 p.m. I started working out at 5:30 a.m. and could barely move after most of my workouts.  I was out of sorts in so many ways!
Fast forward a year later and oh my how my life has changed!  I have a love/hate relationship with Crossfit.  I no longer miss soda.  I can usually make it until 10 p.m. despite my 5:05 a.m. alarm clock.  I am still sore but not the "oh my goodness, I am going to fall down the stairs" sore.

I am however taking another 30 Day Strict Paleo Challenge.  It's time to refocus.  I have been 90% Paleo for a full year.  This summer with the opening of one of my favorite local ice cream shops I've been having too much dairy!  Plus Mr. and I have added popcorn popped in coconut oil back in for a snack as well.  It's time for me to stop the nonsense and buckle down.  No Cheats...30 days.  I've got this.  My favorite part about this particular challenge is that it is a Partner Challenge.  I've been paired with another person from my box.  I'm excited to learn and share along side her while kicking everyone's butt that we are paired against.  It's only day 1 but I know this is going to be a great challenge with fantastic results!

So this morning I started my workout with "Helen."  3 Rounds of 400 Meter run, 35 lb kettlebell swing x 21, 12 pull ups (banded).  I've never done Helen before but felt pretty good about my results this a.m.

After my morning workout, I came home and Mr. had cooked this:
I ate this and took my vitamins which I've also slacked off on taking: Vitamin C, Vitamin D, B Complex, and a Multivitamin.  Drank 4 cups of coffee this a.m. and 2 Liters of water.

I headed out the door with this for a snack:

For lunch heated up these leftovers:

And ate this for an afternoon snack:

For Dinner:
Emeals Country Fried Steak with Carrot Cauliflower Mash
Emeals Paleo Recipe Share
Country Fried Steak
Ingredients: 6 beef cubed steak, 1 Tbsp Montreal Steak Seasoning, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 cup coconut oil, 1 large onion, thinly sliced, 1 (16 oz) package sliced mushrooms, 1 (14.5 oz) can organic beef broth, 1 Tbsp Arrowroot

Directions: Sprinkle steaks with steak seasoning and salt.  Heat 2 Tbsp coconut oil in a large deep dish skillet over medium high heat.  Brown steak, in batches 2-3 min. per side; remove from skillet and keep warm.  Add remaining 2 Tbsp oil to skillet; add sliced onion and mushrooms.  Cook, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until onions are tender and mushrooms are browned; return cubed steaks to skillet.  Combine broth and arrowroot, stirring until smooth and blended; add to skillet.  Bring to a boil; cook for 3 minutes or until sauce is thickened.

Carrot-Cauliflower Mash
Ingredients: 2 Tbsp Coconut oil, 3 large carrots, sliced, 1 (12 oz) bag cauliflower florets, 1 large onion chopped, 2 cloves garlic minced, 1/2 cup organic chicken broth, 3/4 cup coconut milk, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper.

Directions: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add carrots, cauliflower, onion and garlic and cook 5 min. or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally.  Add broth.  Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer 25 minutes or until carrots are tender.  Remove from heat.  Mash carrot mixture with a potato masher until blended.  Stir in coconut milk, salt and pepper.

Mr. and I along with our kids thoroughly enjoyed dinner tonight.  In fact, Mr. and I both are excited for our leftovers tomorrow for lunch!  

Tonight I'm headed out for a night jog with Mr.  I'm officially signed up for my first 5K at the end of the month!  Remember...eat healthy and real food because Food is a Drug #Paleo!









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Simple Steps to Understanding Paleo for Beginners

Just 6 months ago Mr. and I were beginning our Paleo Journey.  We started at our local Crossfit Gym Crossfit Seymour .  Friends of ours own the gym and they were having a 30 day Paleo/Crossfit Challenge.  Lucky for us Coach Sam had a 30 day meal plan prepared that he shared with us.  We didn't have the stress of deciding what we were having for dinner.  He had recipes that he and his wife had gathered that he shared with us.  We did the bulk of our cooking on Sunday, which he called our Sunday WOD (workout of the day).  It was at the end of our 30 day challenge when Mr. and I decided we wanted to adopt the Paleo Lifestyle that I found myself stressed and anxious about what to do next.   The answer for us was Emeals . I've written a post about emeals you can find here:  Paleo Emeals .  This was a great starting point for us that took a lot of the planning and stress off my shoulders.  It still allowed me to learn more.   1.  Paleo Food List It's important to k

10 Things Couples Starting their Paleo Journey Should Know!

Mr. and I started our Paleo Journey pretty much together.  I can't say that it was a smooth beginning.  We definitely have learned a lot through the process and continue to do so.  Here's a quick list of 10 things you should know when starting the Paleo Journey as a Couple!   1. Support from your partner! Support from your partner is key to your journey.  It's been one of the best things we've done as far as our relationship is concerned.  We've literally lost a person (130 lbs) in 6 months.  It's not all been pretty but we are a stronger TEAM because we've been on the journey together! 2.  There's No 'I' in Team! Teamwork makes the dream work!  I couldn't have done this without Mr. rolling up his sleeves and pitching in.  We both like to be in the kitchen but neither of us is fond of the clean up afterwards.  We do teamwork with cooking when we are both home.  This way it doesn't fall on one persons shoulder!  We

Fueling Your Body

The owner of our local gym, Crossfit Seymour, is who uses the term, "Food is a Drug."  I started using it on here because I realized how true it was in my own body.  As I adjusted to the Paleo lifestyle and Crossfit too I could feel the difference in my energy level, inflammation, and overall wellness almost immediately! Last week was my kiddos spring break.  We usually head south to a warmer climate but decided to have the ever trendy 'staycation.'  We did one fun thing each day to keep the week exciting.  While all that fun was being had I had several moments of weakness. My downhill spiral started on Tuesday at the movie theater.  We rarely go to the movies.  I was overwhelmed by the glorious smell of popcorn when we entered the theater.  I had no will power.  The boys got a popcorn to split and each of them had a soda.  The first handful I had I knew I could handle it...but unfortunately I didn't have just one handful.  I was frustrated with myself but wen