Skip to main content

6 a.m. Wake up call

You know, one of my worst fears when deciding to be public about my paleo journey was gaining weight back.  I worked so incredibly hard to get my life back.  I was working about at 5:30 a.m. Meal planning and cooking like a boss.  It worked.

Then I got pregnant.  Then I lost Charlie.  Then my life stopped as I knew it.

I remember telling my mom when I was on bed rest trying to save him.  Whatever the outcome was I didn't want to go back to who I was.  I wanted to feel strong.  I told her to not let me go down a bad road.

The thing about that is...I didn't at first.  After I lost him I stayed true to paleo lifestyle.  As soon as I was allowed I was back at Crossfit working out.

Things started to unravel for me one by one.  First was working out.  I loved feeling strong and when I went back I quickly realized I wasn't strong anymore.  Then people would unknowingly say things that would make me swallow hard.  Babies were born healthy...the same month Charlie was due.  I saw tired parents working out and to be honest it pissed me off that I got a good nights rest (well with the help of a tylenol pm).

Then a few changes happened at my gym and words were said or not said and I decided to walk away.  I found myself at a new gym.  It was warm and welcoming but it wasn't my home.  I tried for several months to make it home but never got there.  Plus the anxiety set in as I got closer and closer to Charlie's 1st birthday.  It was bad.  I needed a break and so I walked away from there too.

During this time I was staying pretty true to paleo.  I still stay pretty true to paleo for meals.  In between those paleo meals, not so much.

I've sponsored and participated in challenges to help inspire me to keep going.

In April I ran my first mini-marathon at a turtles pace.  Then pretty much stopped working out all together.

I've sought spiritual direction.

I've started over again more times than I care to count.

I've hosted girls nights and card parties to help get through the months.

I've been trying so hard to find what my new normal is, should be, will be.

My sweet mom has whispered so many, don't give up comments (without actually saying "don't give up.)  She's worked hard to be the role model that I used to be to others in my nutrition and activity.

The thing is, it sneaks up on you.  I've never intended to go back to who I was before I found a better lifestyle.  But I feel gross again.  That's the best way I can explain it.  I can tell that my body is mad at me in so many different ways.  I crave feeling strong again like I never did the first time I walked this journey.

I don't feel sorry for myself nor do I write this hoping you'll feel sorry for me.  I'm more pissed at myself than anything.  At one time, my spiritual director kept telling me to be gentle with myself.  I probably needed to be at one point but then I started using it as a crutch.

So here I am...tired again of feeling sick and tired, knowing that I'm the only one that can change me.
Knowing that if I make a few corrections in my nutrition and exercise that I'll be right back on track.

Knowing that because my heart continues to ache incredibly bad, I'll never feel as good as I did the first time.

But here's the deal.  I want better for my family.  I want better for me.

So this morning I set my alarm and actually woke up.

My dog and I went for a brisk morning walk.  I came home did some core work and stretched.  I had eggs and bacon for breakfast, carrots for a snack, leftover soup for lunch, and apple for an afternoon snack and I'll be having pork chops and brussel sprouts for dinner.

You blog land will be my accountability.

It will be messy.

It will be beautiful.

It will give me accountability.

I will overcome this.

Until tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paleo Intermittent Fasting--Emeals Paleo Bacon Turkey Meatloaf Recipe included!

At a recent appointment with my favorite Integrative Medicine Physician, Mr. and I were able to lay it out all on the line and learned how to refocus on our health journey.  Dr. W knows of how successful we've been with changing to a Paleo Lifestyle.  He saw us through it every step of the way last time.  So he asked us (individually) what we knew about Intermittent Fasting.  Admittedly, Mr. and I knew very little and probably still don't know much but Dr. W assures us he's super impressed with what he's seen come from research and thought we'd be perfect candidates. So on August 1st (Actually the 31st of July because it was a Monday), Mr. and I started down this path.  Much like the first time I tried paleo I was a little apprehensive.  I've spent the last several years coaching others to eat 3 meals and 2-3 snacks per day.  I've focused on food so much that I wasn't sure how I was going to slow that train down.  I found that 1. It's a lot easi...

Reset in Progress

So for the next two weeks as I reset my habits and start the cleanse, it may be important for those closest to me to tread very lightly.  I was pretty ill for most of the month of December especially that last week or so.  My body is very ready to cleanse and detox and begin the healing process. The Smith household is having a Paleo Reset starting today.  I sort of wish it was as easy as pushing a reset button but unfortunately it is not.  We started Saturday by cleaning out the refrigerator and the pantry.  We did meal plan and shopping Sunday morning.  We stumbled upon a great price on a whole chicken that was antibiotic and additive free.  So I cooked it in the Instant Pot Sunday to have protein for the week.  After it cooled, I shredded it and put the bones back in with Fish Oil, Carrots, Garlic, and Onion and cooked it for 2 hours to make fresh bone broth.  This made 3 mason jars full of broth. I also made an egg quiche ty...

Meal Plan++Paleo Mulligatawny

Thank you to everyone that responded to my survey.  I really appreciate the feedback and look forward to sharing with you this year.  Meal planning has been our best asset to following a paleo lifestyle.  We use emeals and follow the Paleo Meal Plan.  Every week I get an email with lunch and dinner options and I make our meal plan based on the activities we have on our calendar. Wednesday's I work 13-14 hours and so you can bet that I almost always use my crock pot on those nights.  Otherwise, I try to match up the easier meals for our heavier loads on our calendar.   Here's our meal plan for this week. I write out our menu plan on this magnet that's on our fridge.  It makes it easier for me to remember to pull meat and thaw from the freezer in advance. That Jambalaya is in my Instant Pot (on slow cooker mode) as we speak. I've done a horrible job of food pictures that last couple of weeks but wanted to share this recipe with you.  I made ...